AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I have a coworker who is claiming defamation of character against

Customer Question

I have a coworker who is claiming defamation of character against me
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, it has no been pursued by her legally, she has just written a threatening email to our boss. The thing is, I did not say what she is claiming but she has some witnesses who are claiming some gossip can specifically from me. It's all here say
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I am a teacher. My colleague is another teacher. Yesterday, at a public event, a potential parent, whom I am friends with, was asked by a current parent at our school why his family decided not to send their daughter to our school. He told the current parent that he had heard the teacher (my colleague) is having an affair with a parent. After that, I'm not sure what happened, but it resulted in an email with my name being brought up as the one who said she is having the affair. She is claiming it has cost her 2 new kids for her class next year. I did not make this statement, nor did the person making the statement to the current patent say I did. The current parent knows I am friends with this prospective patent. Not sure how it got back to her or really what was specifically said. I did provide an email response to my boss saying I knew nothing about how this and had talked to the parent who said he did not use my name. I also have a written statement from him saying I did not make that statement. I do however have many written harassment letters and texts from her over the course of the past school year. Administration has dismissed her as crazy and has repeatedly told me not to worry about her. This incident will not cost her a job and she is currently still under investigation for another incident. In other words, she doesn't have the best reputation. I need to know if she has a case or not and if I should get a lawyer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I am Heather S, an attorney with 15 years practice experience. I can help you with your question, but it is for informational purposes only and not as legal advice.That sounds like a very frustrating situation. But the first thing to remember is that you cannot prevent anyone from filing a case against someone else. We all have free access to courts. If she decides to file a court case, she can. That does not mean that it has merit or that the court won't dismiss it.You were smart to get the signed statement by the individual who was a party to the conversation, who supports your position that you did not say this woman had an affair with a parent. If you have a signed statement from this individual, then you can likely get any lawsuit dismissed in short order if it is filed. You asked if you need to get an attorney. You probably don't need to do that unless you are sued. You'll know that you are being sued because you'll be served with a summons and complaint. I would not invest any more time or expense in this unless you get served. You can't control what she is going to do. Either she does or she does not. If she doesn't, great. If she does, you have the signed statement and will get her case dismissed shortly after she files it.I hope this has helped. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Heather,Thank you for your response. I went back and further read her email and there are too many inconsistencies with n it for her to be able to prove I slandered her name. She would have to get the person who put a statement in writing for me to reverse his answer because according to this email, it stems from him. I could have a case of slander against her though since she says she contacted other prospective parents and apologized to them for me bad mouthing her ( again one of those would've been the one who wrote the statement). I think I'm good and can finally relax. I did nothing wrong, so it's a case of continual harassment. I am meeting with the superintendent and principal Monday morning. Thank you again for your help!
I'm so glad you are feeling better. You have done everything you could possibly do to protect yourself. So, I think you are postured very well.Have a nice night,Heather