Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Can a lawyer charge interest on their fees

Customer Question

Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If the client representation contract states that the client agrees to pay interest on any outstanding balance after it is due, then yes, the attorney can charge interest. Typically this is 1.5% per month or 18% per year, but CA caps interest rates like this at 10% a year..So this would not be legal for them to charge an extra $20,000 on top of a $7,000 bill. .In order to be able to lien the house or garnish wages, the attorney would first have to sue the client in court and get a judgment against them. So they would have to prove that they were owed the extra money, which they can't do..So basically the lawyer is just bluffing the person and the person could file a formal Bar complaint for usury law violations with the CA state Bar and they would then investigate and could take punitive action against the attorney...thanksBarrister