RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

If i was abused by my pediatrician at the age of 11, then can

Customer Question

If i was abused by my pediatrician at the age of 11, then can I press charges against him at the age of 31?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please, your assistance is appreciated. I have know I should have said or done something sooner. But I am first coming out about what happened now. I can't continue to live like this, experiencing thoughts and flashbacks relative to the assault. I feel tremendous guilt in not speaking out about it years ago when it happened. I learned too that Goetz assaulted my friend from middle school in the same manner. She may be willing to speak up in court as well if need be. Please, I need help with this situation. Part of my recovery and healing comes from taking action and speaking out against abuse.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I am so very sorry to hear what happened to you. What you describe sounds like a third degree sexual assault in Wisconsin, which is sexual contact of a child without their consent. The statute of limitations (or time in which the state could file charges) for such a criminal act is unfortunately 6 years from the date of the crime. For crimes that took place on or after July 1, 1989, the statute was expanded to the later of 6 years from the offense date or the day before the victim's 21st birthday. Thus, the state would be barred from bringing charges.Now, if the sexual assault caused you great bodily harm, or was performed under the threat of violence, or the use of, or threat of use of a dangerous weapon, then the sexual assault could be a second or first degree charge, which carries a different statute of limitations. If that is the case -there was a threat of violence or violence used in the assault or a weapon was threatened to accomplish the assault, then please let me know, and I'll tell you about those statutes of limitations. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions about this matter, kindly remember to leave positive feedback, as that is the only way experts are compensated for our time. Thank you.