Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

My office building parking garage is run by a parking company.

Customer Question

My office building parking garage is run by a parking company. They took over last December and gave all the tenants a notice that the new monthly parking fee would be $150. I paid the $150 in December. Then the parking attendant asked me if I had anything in my lease that specified a parking fee. So I gave him a copy of my lease that specified my parking monthly fee is $85. That parking attendant passed that to his manager and told me that I was to only pay $85 from January on. The parking company has cashed each months check for $85. Now I get a bill from the parking company asking me for the difference for the last 3 months as well as $150 for next month. Are they in the right?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
.If you had a parking space included in your lease, and the building owners owned the parking garage at the time, then if a new company took ownership of the garage after that, they would have taken it subject to the terms of your lease. Note I use the term "ownership", not running or managing. It is the owner of the building that can establish your Parking charge in your lease and can bind the garage operator. It's possible that the arrangement between the Building owner and the garage operator has given the operator the power to set fees; however they would be bound by the established rental rate thatIs in your lease, until that lease expires. I hope that this Clarifies the situation sufficiently for you to Find out what is actually going on.Please rate this answer positively if you think I have answered the question adequately. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.