Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I was denied a claim. I work on a government installation and

Customer Question

I was denied a claim. I work on a government installation and filed a police report and a claim for my phon which was stolen from my work area. I work at the front desk area and I had it beside my computer I got busy with several customers and walked away from the desk. After I came back my phone was gone. The letter I received said I was negligent in securing my phone since it was on public property. Can o get you take on this. This was the decision from the claims office with the Staff Judge Advocate.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
I disagree. Even if this was on a public property, the phone was on your workstation, which is considered a semi-private place. If the phone was stolen from your workstation, that should not be looked at as you being negligent in securing your phone because you did not expect that someone would reach beside your computer to steal the phone. Your claim should be paid. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.