CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Years I have been dealing with my husband's medical billing

Customer Question

For 2 years I have been dealing with my husband's medical billing stuff without getting any approval from him for the company, now all of a sudden they are asking. Do I have a potential Hippa Violation case on my hands?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,While this probably isn't going to go anywhere (you say you were acting on your husband's behalf, and I would assume you were doing so with his permission), there may have been a violation by the billing department if they disclosed information regarding his healthcare to you without a written authorization.To actually determine whether there is a violation, there is going to be a question as to whether or not these communications actually disclosed any information (for example, if you were calling to discuss your husband's "xyz procedure" and the invoice - you were the one bringing up the procedure and the billing, the insurance company representative did not make a disclosure).If your husband wishes to make a report regarding this potential violation of his HIPPA rights he can: and the Dept. of Health and Human Services can investigate it.