LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I have purchased property using owner financing. I can not

Customer Question

I have purchased property using owner financing. I can not claim the interest paid on this property because owner refuses to give his social security number or to get an EIN. Do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 6 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Unless the seller is in the business of selling properties, he does not have to provide you with a 1098 showing the interest that you paid during the tax year. Also the interest paid must be in it in excess of $600. SEE:
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The gentlemen that listed and sold the property is called The Big South Fork Land Sales LLC. But on the contract it lists one of the owners of that LLC as the seller. It is over $600 it is over $8,000 a year. I understand that they don't have to provide me with a 1099 but cant claim the interest without an EIN or social from the seller. Are they legally required to at Least provide me with the info that I need to claim the interest? Or can I claim the interest without providing an EIN or Social?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Emily,New professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If they refuse to give you their SSN or EIN, you can still seek the deduction on your tax return. You will want to mail them a W-9 form and if they don't return it, file your return and indicate to the IRS that the other party refused to provide their SSN or EIN. Here is a link to the form: You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug