Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

If you have 3% asbestos in a joint compound are you required

Customer Question

If you have 3% asbestos in a joint compound are you required to remove/replace the joint compound? It's in a condo garage open air ceiling and most of the residents would rather live with the de minimus risk but have been told Md. law requires us to remove it.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. Maryland law in regard to Asbestos abatement is one of the more stringent in the US. BUT it does not necessarily require removal of asbestos containing materials. Often times removal causes more difficulties. Therefore the regulations generally allow for the "Encapsolation of the asbestos materials. In other words it is often acceptable to cover the asbestos containing materials with a product that will keep the fibers from becoming airborne. The state agency in charge of this issue is the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) Air Quality Compliance Program and it is regulated under the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) Maryland publishes a list of Contractors that are licensed to manage your asbestos situation and they would be in the best position to educate you on whether the asbestos may be controlled without removal. Here is a recent list: I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald