Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a handful of parking tickets and a few moving violations

Customer Question

I have a handful of parking tickets and a few moving violations holding up the re-registration of my vehical. I want to sell the car because I am paying to park it in Los Angeles, but I live in New York City. How can I solve in California while in NY? The fees look like that really add up. Over one thousand. Help!
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Do you have people who handle this stuff in L.A.?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if the tickets are not paid off, the will not make the transfer without you paying them. If you sell the vehicle without paying them and you sell to someone they can be made to pay the fines and then come and sue you because DMV will not finalize the sale and issue a new title until all the fines are cleared off the registration. They will allow the buyer to register if they can prove that they were an innocent buyer and not known or related to you, but they will not give a new title until you clear the fines and that means your new buyer could not subsequently sell the vehicle.
So, ultimately, you will have to pay the fines off if you want to keep the sale.