Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My daughter Macie has been in an emotional abusive marriage

Customer Question

My daughter Macie has been in an emotional abusive marriage with Joshua for 11 years. She has been the primary provider in the home and has put her husband through a master's program and theological seminary. She also paid of his student loans from his BA in education. He graduated from seminary two and half years ago and has been pastoring a church and I'm unsure how much he is getting paid. Three years ago Macie had a son. Although our family has had always had a tenious relationship with Joshua because we saw him as abusive to Macie and very controlling, we tried to maintain a close, loving and supportive relationship with Macie; however, shortly after the birth of the baby, he made Macie cut her family out of her life. She does have some contact with one of her sisters, which is how we've been made aware of her situation.
Last August 2015, Josh declared that he wanted an open marriage and he and Macie would simply co-parent their son. Evidently my daughter agreed to this. About a month ago in early April 2016, He told her that he had a girl friend and that he no longer wanted to co-parent with her because she is a horrible mother and doesn't set boundaries. He has a lawyer and plans to sue for a divorce and custody of their son. My daughter is no longer living in the home. She does pick her son up from daycare and takes him home and stays with him at the home until he goes to bed. She leaves her son with his father and spends the night in a friend's basement. My daughter also has a laywer and is recording the time she spends with her son. Given my experience with Joshua, I'm concerned that he and his mother are setting Macie up so that Josh will be awarded custody. It seems like he has planned this from the very beginning of their marriage. Macie's father and I are concerned that on the first day of court, she'll be completely devasted by the statements Josh and his supporters will make about her. We think that she is trying to do what is best for her son and doesn't realize how hateful Josh will be. We could provide a lot of noterized character reference about Joshua abusive and controlling nature. We would like her to find an apartment and move out with her son. We also think it would be in her best interest to cut off all communicatin with Joshua. What would you advise Macie do? Also if Josh has not filed yet and she were to move home to Spokane, WA with her son to file for a divorce, could Joshua take her son out of Washington State? What can or should we do to help Macie? She has been the primary care giver for her son and I can't imagine Joshua should ever have full custody. Please help us!
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs.I have been a licensed, litigation attorney for more than 30 years, and I have handled several thousand cases. Given the complexity of the facts, what you are asking for is all but impossible to respond to adequately in this written format, and in my experience is only practical to approach in a phone conversation.If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. If you are not interested just let me know and I will be happy to opt out. Perhaps someone else would be willing to tackle your request. Doug