Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My company contract was in my opinion terminated on 09/10/2010.

Customer Question

My company contract was in my opinion terminated on 09/10/2010. According to Fl law 626.471 and 626.754 I should be able to service my clients business for one year after the termination date. Is my claim statute barred. The contract was terminated without proper notice ie no notice by certified mail instead the notice was sent by email.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. Is there a specific question with which I could assist?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the matter statute barred?
Possibly. The statute of limitations is 5 years for a breach of a written contract and 4 years for a breach of an oral contract but it can be from the time you "discover" the problem and, in addition, in your case it could be from the end of the year you mention. You would have to sit down with a local lawyer and go through all of the facts in detail to know for sure since even a small difference in facts can make a tremendous amount of difference. You are close enough in time to where it needs to be looked at in detail. Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Even after you issue the rating you can come back for follow ups if you have them. Issuing the rating just ensures that 1) I receive credit and 2) the question doesn't time out and close.