Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband and i moved from PA to DE May 2015. After going

Customer Question

My husband and i moved from PA to DE May 2015. After going through all boxes and furniture, we noticed damage and missing items. I called the moving company to file a claim. It took about 2 months for the company to return our request, also no one came out to look at the damage. We paid for insurance since we had many antiques items.
The company offered us $586.
I said well we will go to small claims court. Our case was heard last wednesday. The judge said we were not able to prove evidence of value.
Since then, I have paperwork of all items, where they were bought, when and date with prices.
My question is, should we file an appeal and if so what do we do now.
Thank you
Kathleen Sawyer
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me where you filed the case - PA or DE?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Delaware since that was the state money was first exchanged.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. If this was denied in JP Court, one has 15 days to appeal. The appeal should be filed in the Court of Common Pleas. See HERE (begin at page 4). The case would be heard "de novo," meaning from the beginning and new evidence may be able to be introduced. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where do I get a copy of the original trial?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Very easy. You can contact the clerk of the original JP Court and ask for a copy - they get such requests all the time. The cost is minimal and they can have it to you within days. Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** bring a copy of that when I file am appeal?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Yes. again, please see the link HERE and go to page 4 - this outlines what to do to appeal the case step by step. Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!