John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I was fired by Home Depot and have been denied unemployment

Customer Question

I was fired by Home Depot and have been denied unemployment for Colorado based on innacurate information provided to the state by Home Depot. Subsequently, I have also been denied a job because Home Depot refused to return a phone call to verify previous employment. I worked for the company for 4 1/2 years and feel I have been treated very badly. Can you help?
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
With regard to the denial of unemployment, your only ecourse in that regard is to follow the appeals process - you have the right to appeal internally to the division of unemployment insurance, where you can get a hearing and present your evidence contrary to the employer's statement, and then to the Industrial Claims Appeal Office. Finally you can appeal that decision to the court of appeals. Thus the denial is not final and you have several rights in that regard - you can follow the procedures stated here: With regard to them not returning a reference call - to make a case for that would be very difficult and your case would probably be dismissed in short time. You'd have to show that the manager at Home Depot who did this, did it with a purpose to harm your ability to get a position at the new place of employment. In other words, you'd have to show he had the intent to deprive you of the position and didn't provide the reference to ensure you wouldn't get the position. That's a tough burden of proof because you have to show what that maanger was essentially thinking - and he can just as easily deny that he did it with any purpose to harm you.I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.