Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I have a lien on my property that was never released even though

Customer Question

I have a lien on my property that was never released even though I paid the debt three years ago. The attorney at that time has now retired and sold his business. My debtor was GE Bank but they are now Synchrony Bank. The account numbers changed when Synchrony took over. I have a letter from Synchrony showing the account was settled in 2013 but the account number does not match the original account number on the GE Bank judgment. Synchrony is giving me the run-a-round and I am trying to sell my home but the lien is stopping me. How can I make Synchrony Bank release the lien?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..The fastest way to resolve this will be to contact a local real estate attorney and have him call Synchrony's legal dept and talk to one of the attorneys there and threaten to file a "quiet title" lawsuit if they don't immediately file the lien release referencing the old account number. He can threaten to hold them liable for all the costs of the action, including his attorney fees for their delay as well as filing a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act . Legally the creditor is supposed to file a lien release no longer than 30 days after a debt is paid off under the Fair Credit Reporting Act..They might be taking action based on your call, or they might be blowing you off since there is no threat of legal action "encouraging" them to get this fixed at this time...I used to be a closing attorney and we would have to do this every now and then when creditors were sloppy about filing releases..thanksBarrister