Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Believe are father had his identity stolen before his death....after

Customer Question

Believe are father had his identity stolen before his death....after his passing we discovered 10s 10s of thousands dollars in credit card charges and there was nothing to show how it was spent....is anything we can do about it? Thanks
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. The good news is that you nor your mother (if living) or siblings are liable to the creditors for his debts --- regardless of whether he actually incurred the debts or if the debts are a result of identity theft.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
That said, if you open his estate, and someone is appointed as his representative (Executor or Administrator), that person can address the debts on his behalf and initiate an investigation to into the charges to determine if this was him or a result of identity theft.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If it can be established that someone stole his identity, then your father's estate would not be responsible for the debt.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
It is also possible that if you do nothing -- don't open his estate, etc. -- that nothing will ever come of this because he's deceased and he's the only one responsible for the debts --- so if the creditors know he's passed away, they may not pursue this at all.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting....
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!