Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

I married my husband in 2006 and found out that his divorce

Customer Question

i married my husband in 2006 and found out that his divorce was not final until 2008. is my marriage void? he convinced me that it is legal and we only need to get married again
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: we are living as married couple. signing documents as married. are we married or is my married void?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: i dont know what else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.A marriage in which one of the parties was already married at the time it occurred is, on its face, void. You may of course get married again, now that his divorce is finalized, but the first time the two of you "married" it would not be valid. I hope that helps, even though it's not necessarily the positive news you were looking for. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.