Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

How long do you have to press criminal charges on an employee

Customer Question

how long do you have to press criminal charges on an employee for illegal use of company credit card in North Carolina.
We have employee that bought liquor, gift cards, and supplies for his own use. He has been terminated.
Submitted: 5 months ago via LegalInfo.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. This would be embezzlement. Embezzlement is considered a felony, so there is no statute of limitations to file charges. However, of course, the earlier the complaint is filed, the better. If the money stolen was $100,000 or less, they may face about 5/6 months in jail if convicted. If the money lost is more than $100,000, they may face between 59 and 73 months in prison if convicted. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.