Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Used truck purchased monday in Ga. I cancelled my check and

Customer Question

Used truck purchased monday in Ga. I cancelled my check and wanted to know if I have any legal standing the dealer said I had no three days in Georgia and I have to pay the truck off. Is this correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I seen a truck online it was it 3500 Laramie Dodge and when I got to well I got to my home I called a dealer and give them the VIN number and they said it was not a Laramie
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, unless your written sales contract gave you a cooling off period to allow you to change your mind, there is none under statute. What you refer to as the "three days" is actually a Federal law that only applies to "door to door" sales and other sales at places like conventions or parties, or somewhere other than a regular place of business for the seller, and also applies to refinancing and timeshare agreements. The law does not cover used car sales and Georgia has no more favorable law. You can see a restatement of what I just shared by going to the following link:

That means the dealer, assuming they did not violate the law like turning back the odometer, would have an enforceable contract that they could sue under if you do not pay them. Please feel free to ask for clarification. Thank you.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the information I provided to you on the 27th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.