Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I am in the process of looking full-time job. I have

Customer Question

Hi, I am in the process of looking for a full-time job. I have received an agreement as a freelancer (without benefits) that I am considering signing until I can secure a full-time job with benefits. I wonder if I will be able to break the contract at any time. One clause states that "The Company shall  pay  to  the  Executive a fixed monthly fee  of 
XXX per month to be invoiced monthly, with effect from May 1, 
2016 for a period of twelve (12) months.  The Executive shall bear 
all taxes at her own expenses. A fresh letter of appointment and agreement 
will be issued for further renewal or extension." The only other time constraint mentioned is: "Either party will have the right to terminate this Agreement by serving writtennotice of two (2) weeks to the other, except where the Executive breachesher obligations under this Agreement, in which case the Company will have theright to terminate this Agreement immediately." Do you think I would be able to sign and resign in a few months if a better offer comes up, or would I have to wait the full year? Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Based solely on the information and you have provided, the agreement, although setting wages for a one year period is subject to termination with two weeks notice by either party at any time within that 12 months, and with no notice for a breach. That is the way it is written. So, two weeks notice at any time is the termination notice requirement.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the information I provided to you on the 27th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.