Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I have a question about an incident involving my dog. He was very playful, and one day

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about an incident involving my dog. He was very playful, and one day late Feb, he ran out of the door on my fiancé, ran to a nearby farm where there was a mother dog with pups. The mother dog freaked and went at him, so they ended up fighting. The daughters of the farm owner say they tried to break them up, and in the process they were bitten, but not by my dog, by their own dog admittedly. The owner ended up shooting and killing my dog, which broke all my family's heart. Be that as it may, my question is, am I liable for the daughters' injuries to their hands even though my dog did not actually inflict those injuries? I had previously offered to pay vet bills for their dog because my dog did actually cause injury to their dog.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if they can prove your dog actually was the cause of their injury, even if it caused their own dog to bite them while they were trying to break up the two, you would be strictly liable under Ohio law because you failed to control your animal and it ran off loose. So, legally under the OH laws, they see injury caused by your animal to make you strictly liable and they can show your dog was injuring their animal and in the process of stopping that they became injured, no matter if it was their dog that bit them because your dog caused that you would be liable.