Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Does Maxim healthcare have a non-compete agreement? I 't

Customer Question

Does Maxim healthcare have a non-compete agreement? I don't recall ever signing anything like that but I could be wrong. I have been unhappy with this agency for various reasons..... There are 2 other agencies already in the home and one is offering me more money. I know of one other nurse who left for the same situation and he was only told he would not be eligible for rehire at Maxim.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately though. you have asked a question that there would be no way we could answer. That is because there is no published master list of what companies do and don't have non-compete agreements. That is a private company by company issue, so only you and the company would know if there was a non-compete in your case. We know what states make them unlawful or limit them (Virginia does not make them unlawful), but that is the extent of what we would know about whether or not you signed one.

You will need to go to your HR Department and ask them if you can get a copy or look at your personnel file. Although Virginia law does not mandate that an employer provide that access, many employers do so voluntarily. You could ask specifically for a copy of your non-compete (if you didn't sign one they would say there is none), but that would signal to them that you might be leaving and could result in a termination. So, that probably isn't the route you want to take.

If the employer does not let you have access to your personnel record, or documents that you signed (which you could ask for only those), then the only other way you would know is to ask your supervisor or fellow employees about whether you signed a non-compete.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the information I provided to you on the 27th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.