Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

I am 64 and my is wife is 63.We don't know what to do before

Customer Question

I am 64 and my is wife is 63.We don't know what to do before the 4-29-16 deadline
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.What 4-29-16 deadline are you referring to?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the new changes in the social security that end on the 29th of this month I was told to file a restricted application ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any thing we should be doing? at this age
I will have to opt out and allow a social security expert to assist you.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. I am glad that you asked this question because there is a lot of artificial hype being advertised that is causing confusion and upset with many people. The changes to Social Security that are taking place at the end of this month has to do with certain strategies that people have used to maximize the amount of Social Security that they may receive over the course of their life time. These strategies involve the more senior spouse to apply for Social Security benefits but suspend taking them, while the younger spouse applies for spousal benefits. In order for the strategy to work the older spouse must be at full retirement age, which is currently 66. The ability to take advantage of this strategy will end on May 1, 2016, because the government will no longer allow for a person to apply and suspend collection. Because neither you nor your wife are at full retirement age you have no opportunity to apply the strategy to your situation. You will not be of the proper full retirement age until well after the program ends. So there is nothing for you to do. Despite all the hype you are hearing the change really only effects a relatively small number of people. I am sorry if the hype surrounding this issue has lead you to believe that you were missing out on something. You really are not. I would not want you to be misled into giving some operation money to take advantage of something that is not real. This article discusses the issue in greater detail: I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald