Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If I was living with someone and he bought a house

Customer Question

If I was living with someone for years and he bought a house in only his name,we lived in it as a couple for 4 years, thens he up and puts me out. What rights do I have?
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. At this point, the home is presumed to be only his, and he can ask you to leave. You are what is known as a tenant at sufferance meaning you are there only at his discretion. But, Texas recognizes a common law marriage. You can assert that you were common law married and file for divorce (or threaten to do so). To be common law married in Texas, one way is that one has to show that you: (1) Agreed to be married(2) Lived together as husband and wife, and(3) Told others (hold yourselves out) that you are married. if so, then if the home was purchased during the marriage, unless it was with inherited money, it may be seen as common law property meaning that it may be half yours! Perhaps the threat of filing for divorce under the auspices of a common law marriage may have him reconsider his options and possibly agree to pay you some money and/or whatever else the two of you agree to, so as for you not to claim a common law marriage. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!