Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

A former classmate and a wonderful friend of mine, whom I will

Customer Question

A former classmate and a wonderful friend of mine, whom I will refer to as Mrs. J., took in a 72 year old lady into her home, as a temporary measure to help out an acquaintance of a friend. The son of this old lady had gone through a divorce, a bout with bronchitis and may possibly undergo neck surgery. I don't if these are excuses (with the illnesses and surgery) to avoid the responsibility of taking care of his 72 year old mother.
My friend, besides has financial burdens, and it is not just or fair that she should sacrifice her health and emotional stability to care for a stranger's mother.
What can she do in this situation besides hiring a lawyer? Are there any social services in Chicago, that can help Mrs. J., remove the old lady from her premises, and place the elderly woman in a nursing home for the indigent elderly? I fear for my friend's health.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.Your friend is a very nice person for doing this... You haven't indicated how long the friend has lived there or even if the lady won't leave.... IF the lady won't leave, your friend may consider eviction. It's difficult, I know, when she was so nice taking her in, but she is not under an obligation to care for this lady indefinitely. Also, does the lady have Medicaid (indigent)? Medicare (elderly)? If she does, she can use that in order to try to get into a nursing home. It sounds like at this point it's convenient for the son to let someone else take care of his mother, but that doesn't mean that's ok. Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so. I'm also available by phone if that would help you. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative rating so that I may try to clarify anything that may be unclear to you. My goal is to make sure that you are satisfied with the assistance you've received, so if there's anything else I can do to help you, please let me know.
I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.