KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW

Can you tell me - how long does a garnishment lien from irs

Customer Question

can you tell me - how long does a garnishment lien from irs last on
your paycheck - is there a time limit barring them paid in full - like 3 yrs or so -
also there's a lien on my federal ret check of 15% - they took from both but now
they've released the lien mysteriously on my RET CHECK - is this a new law or something
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As a general rule, there is a ten year statute of limitations on IRS collections if they levy or not. This means that they can collect on your unpaid taxes for up to ten years from the date they were assessed. So you must check the assessment date to calculate. This date is either the date when an IRS official signs the applicable for. An example, if you do not pay in full when you file your tax return, you will receive written notice of the amount you owe, a bill. The date on this bill starts the ten year limitations period. If you did not file a tax return, the IRS can create a substitute return for you and make a deficiency assessment, which starts the ten year period. Thus, not filing a return and hiding for ten years accomplishes nothing and tolls the 10 years.

Once the ten years are up, the IRS has to stop its collection efforts.

If your Collection Statute Expiration Date is near, the IRS may act aggressively to get you to pay as much as possible before the deadline or get you to agree to extend it, which you should never do. With regards ***** ***** lien, there is no new law, they just decided to not proceed with the lien because of the garnishment.

I hope this helps with your question.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

if you have any other questions just ask. if not, please rate the question for tracking and credit.