Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

If I'm not on a lease but I have lived here months I receive

Customer Question

If I'm not on a lease but I have lived here for 10 months I receive mail here. How long does the person have to give you to move out
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I can't afford one.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We have been friends for about 5 years she said I could live with her as long as she has a place to live. She got mad at me because I didn't get the yard mowed when she wanted to. My car isn't running it's in a shop so I stayed with my boyfriend 4 days last week so he could take me to work. I was on my way home and when I got home she mowed the yard. The next morning she told me I have till may 15 to get out. Doesn't the indiana law say 30 days?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I haven't pd her anything cause she knew when she said I could live with her that I couldn't afford it. I'm working very pt and I have been trying to get another job.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Without a written lease, you're considered a month-to-month tenant. That means you're legally entitled to one month's written notice. Indiana Code, Section 32-31-1-1. A verbal notice is not sufficient, and she cannot tell you to leave on May 15. She has to give a full month, which means the soonest you can be made to move out is May 31. This is true even if you're not paying her rent, although if you were SUPPOSED to pay rent and weren't, then she'd have grounds to evict based on non-payment.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you that's what I thought! So what happens if she calls the cops for me to move

Police will not remove you from the premises without a court order.