How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3087
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend of 17 years & i have built a house and the property

Customer Question

my boyfriend of 17 years & i have built a house and the property is deeded to both of us. since we were never married, what will happen should we split up? We live in Lawrence county indiana.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 11 months ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,If you decide to split up, and you decide you no longer want to own the house with your boyfriend, you can bring a legal action called Partition. You can not be forced to own real estate with a co-owner if you no longer wish to do so. So in a Partition action the property is appraised, and it is either sold and the proceeds distributed equally to the co-owners, or the other owner will have to buy out the other person's interest in the property.I hope this answers your question.Thomas

Related Legal Questions