Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My boyfriend of 17 years & i have built a house and the property

Customer Question

my boyfriend of 17 years & i have built a house and the property is deeded to both of us. since we were never married, what will happen should we split up? We live in Lawrence county indiana.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 6 months ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,If you decide to split up, and you decide you no longer want to own the house with your boyfriend, you can bring a legal action called Partition. You can not be forced to own real estate with a co-owner if you no longer wish to do so. So in a Partition action the property is appraised, and it is either sold and the proceeds distributed equally to the co-owners, or the other owner will have to buy out the other person's interest in the property.I hope this answers your question.Thomas