Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My brother stole a 40 dollar blue tooth speaker from my mom

Customer Question

My brother stole a 40 dollar blue tooth speaker from my mom and then told me to sell it online and deduct it from the debt which he owed me. Never did he mention where it came from and I never new the item was stolen. When my mom saw the little speaker in a Facebook page posted to sell, she called the police and told them that I stole it and was selling it. Later when she found out what happened she tried to drop the charges but the other day and officer messaged me over facebook of all things and told me that I have a warrant out for this charge and to turn myself in. I don't know what to do! I've never been to jail. I'm 32 and a father of 2. Is there anything that I can do? I can't afford an attorney
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a former asst prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.
The police do not serve warrants over Facebook. This sounds like someone is playing a joke on you. Additionally, no prosecution can take place without your mother's cooperation. So, if she told the police that it was a mistake and she wished to withdraw the complaint then that would end the whole thing.
Unless you get a visit or verifiable telephone call from a police officer, you can ignore the whole Facebook message thing.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.