AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

If I have credit card debt 2 years now and have no

Customer Question

If I have credit card debt for about 2 years now and have no intentions in paying it and waiting it out the 6/7 years if I get married could they ever go after my wife for money
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All the credit cards are in my name shes not on any of them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its all credit card debt nothing else as well over 50k about over 25 cards
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m an attorney with 15 years vigorous courtroom practice experience, and I would like to assist you in answering your question. My response is for information and education, and not as legal advice and we do not form an attorney/client relationship.If your fiance co-signed for the debt, then yes, but if she did not co-sign for the debt, it would be very unlikely that they could go after her for the debt. When you entered into the credit card agreement, you signed an agreement, a contract, and agreed to repay. Your fiance was not a party to this agreement. Thus, she should not be held responsible for repaying the debt.If you were married when the debt was incurred, my answer might be a bit different, because different states have laws that could potentially make a spouse liable for another spouses debt if the debt was necessary for the support of that spouse. The legal doctrine to which I am referring is called the "doctrine of necessaries." You can read more about this doctrine here: again, that doctrine only applies if you were married at the time you incurred the debt.So, long story short, I do not see any way she could be held responsible for your credit card debt, even if you marry later. You were not married at the time the debt was incurred, so she cannot be held liable under the doctrine of necessaries. And she is not a party to the credit card agreement, which is only between you and the credit card company. Does this answer your question?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You sure did thank you very much !
Great! I hope you have a wonderful night. Best,Heather S, Attorney