Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

TEXAS: If I move out at 17 and move in with a friend older

Customer Question

TEXAS: If I move out at 17 and move in with a friend older than 18 are they harboring a run away if I tell police where I am and call my parent and tell them exactly where I am?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you. The parents here can report you as a runaway.The police if they decide to check on you have right to return you to your parents.Unless you are emancipated the age here in Texas is 18.You are so close here the parents may not report it.And even then it is not the highest priority with law enforcement since they know where you are.By notifying the police they may decide it is not worth it in this matter since you are in no danger. And I can understand the need to live elsewhere.Telling the police and the parents is the best you can do, hopefully law enforcement decides it is not a priority. Legally you are still a minor--don 't shoot the messenger. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.I wish you the best here.