RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I recently got a new job that requires me to apply California

Customer Question

I recently got a new job that requires me to apply for a California State Contractors License. In the application process they say I just disclose all convictions and that I'll be fingered printed. My prints will then be ran through the DOJ. The problem was I was arrested last August for a felony act. But the DA dropped the case and I was never charged. I never even appeared in front of a judge, although I did spend three days in jail and had my finger prints taken. I am now wondering if I have to disclose the arrest even though there was no conviction. The application only says convictions but I'm still not sure.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. No, your initial thinking was correct. If the application only asks you to disclose convictions, then you do not have to disclose the arrest, because the case was no billed/no filed. You will also want to look into having your arrest sealed, so that your arrest does not (potentially) show up in background checks. I say "potentially" because no two background checks are the same, and some potential employers might see it while others won't. If the issue does come up, you can always just say that "the matter was dropped due to a lack of evidence and no case was ever filed." If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does this also apply to the California Stats License Board?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
State*
Yes. According to the License Board website: "A conviction means a plea or verdict of guilty or a conviction following a plea of nolo contendere. Please be aware that if you have any criminal record, all convictions are reported to CSLB, including those that have been sealed, expunged, or reduced under Penal Code section 1203.4 or an applicable code of another state. Failure to disclose all convictions is falsification of the application, which was signed under penalty of perjury, and is grounds for denial."So, they will be aware of your criminal arrest, but they only require that an applicant report a conviction.
If you have no additional questions about this matter, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces, so that I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.