Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

In state of Illinois I'm opening a restaurant and already have

Customer Question

In state of Illinois I'm opening a restaurant and already have an Inc name but have to have an assumed name to DBA. My question is if my DBA name is "John Tim" can Restaurant be named John and bar in restaurant be named Tim?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. Yes, you should have no trouble naming the restaurant "John" and the Bar "Tim." here is why:EITHER:1) You have the Bar and Restaurant under one LLC, and you have established the dual named DBA. As such the DBA can be broken into the two halves of the same enterprise. As long as you have the DBA registered as you have indicated that is not a problem. OR2) You have for some reason created two related enterprises under the One LLC and have decided to have two DBA's for the related enterprises. You can assign on DBA to the restaurant and the other to the related enterprise. In either scenario the use of the two related DBA's or the two halves of the single DBA in the single enterprise is permissible. Indeed, there is no regulation that prohibits this use of the DBA. These resources may be useful to you: I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald