Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

My divorce lawyer sent me a letter requesting money from a

Customer Question

My divorce lawyer sent me a letter requesting money from a divorce 7 years ago. She hasn't sent a request for about 3 years. Is there a statute of limitations?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not as of yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm the day of court, my lawyer stated she wasn't prepared for this and suggested i take a small settlement of $2000 or I may be paying my ex $19,000. My ex has received a cash settlement of $57,000 from a medical center of which I received nothing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: My ex and I were together for 4 years before being married for another 3 years. I'm court the judge commented that this was only a 3 year marriage so I shouldn't be entitled to anything. My lawyer disnr say anything to counter that. I do not believe she is owed more than I already paid her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?,When was the last time you made a payment to the attorney for any amount?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wisconsin. I have not made any payments since 2009.
Ok, WI has a 6 year statute of limitations on a breach of contract action, so the attorney is out of luck as they would be time barred from pursuing this. .So you can tell them to go jump off a cliff.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sweet! Have a great night!
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me personally by putting “For Barrister” in the question if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I have used this service once in the past and am pleased.
Great, we do our best to get customers to use JustAnswer for any type of help they need...from lawnmower repair to legal questions....thanks muchBarrister