Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I was wondering if you could answer some questions for

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me. Do you have any experience in Social Security and law?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have fibromyalgia and it has gotten to the point that it is difficult to work at all, much less full time. I am looking at applying for SSI. I am just looking for any assistance that one can provide from personal experience
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
You would be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits ("SSDI") if you can show that you have worked long enough to earn benefits and that you are unable to work because of your disability and that your disability is expected to last for at least 12 months. Social Security Administration has a very strict definition of disability. Your ailment should be on the list of impairments. Click here to see the list: You can apply for benefits online or make appointment to go to your Social Security Administration local office. You are better off doing it online in the privacy of your home--you can take your time in completing the application and the disability report. The process is a long one and it would require a lot of patience from you: (1) Your initial application would most likely be denied;(2) Then, you would be given opportunity to ask for review. New updated disability report should be completed as part of this request for review. You could be turned down by the reviewing officer on your second go at it;(3) You would be given another opportunity to appeal, this time to the Administrative Law Judge ("ALJ"). This is where most people get approved for benefits. It could take up to a year for your case to be resolved. You can get an attorney to assist you once you have applied and have been turned down so that the Attorney can handle the requests for appeal for you or you can get an attorney to assist you from the beginning. Attorneys cannot charge up front for helping you apply for disability benefits. Attorneys only get paid if you are approved for benefits and they get paid a percentage of your past due benefits. The fees that the Attorneys can charge are regulated by the Social Security Administration. You can also see if you can get assistance from legal services organizations in your area for free. Click here to see how attorneys get paid for disability claims: Click on the links below to find attorneys that handle disability claims: Click here to start the application process: (A) The Steps: (B) Checklists: (C) Application: In additional to Social Security Disability benefits (“SSDI”), you can also apply for Supplemental Security Income (“SSI”). In order to qualify for SSI, you must be elderly or disabled and have very limited resources. For more information on SSI: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.