RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I stupidly didn't pay a speeding ticket - completely spaced

Customer Question

I stupidly didn't pay a speeding ticket - completely spaced out and forgot. On Saturday, I received a suspension of license notice. I am soooo upset. I haven't had a ticket since 1992! I own a business and MUST drive. This happened in TN. I don't know what to do, as I must be able to go to work tomorrow and public transportation is not available where I live. I take care of an ailing husband also. Help!!! Absent Minded Normally Law Abiding Completely Overwhelmed Woman in TN
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about what happened. The good news is, you may be able to fix this very easily. What happened, as you know, is that when you failed to pay the citation, then the Clerk sends a Court Action Report (CAR) to the Tennessee Department of Safety stating that you failed to satisfy your citation.The Tennessee Department of Safety will suspend your license until you have met all requirements for reinstatement of your license, including payment of this citation and a reinstatement fee.Contact the Tennessee Department of Safety online at http://www.tn.gov/safety/financialresponsibility.shtml and they should be able to tell you the exact steps to getting the license reinstated. Alternatively, it looks like you can reinstate online:Use the internet for the quickest reinstatement method available. If eligible to reinstate online, a driver must know his/her Tennessee driver license number and the last name as it appears on the driver license. Additionally, online reinstatement requires a valid credit/debit card for payment. Reinstate On-Line: https://dl.safety.tn.gov/ Reinstatement information is available 24 hours a day via the department's automated phone system. To obtain reinstatement requirements via the automated phone system, the Tennessee driver license number is ***** Reinstatement clerks are on duty Monday through Friday 8am to 4:30pm CST to answer your questions. Toll-Free: 1-***-***-****.From what I could find, it looks like the reinstatement fee is $65 (though it can be more if there were multiple citations). If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.