RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Are there any laws that can protect me from donating food for

Customer Question

Are there any laws that can protect me from donating food for the homeless as a team member at restaurant?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, when you say protect you, you mean against your employer taking action against you for donating the food without permission?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes and out or the entire cooperation
Thank you for clarifying. Unfortunately, no there's not. There is no state or federal law that would protect an employee in this situation. Absent permission from your employer, your employer may even consider what you're doing theft (even if you're just giving away food they'd otherwise throw out!). Also, I don't know what state you're in, but the vast majority of states are "at will", meaning an employer can terminate an employee at any time, for any reason, with or without cause, as long as it's not done for an unlawful (illegal) reason - such as discrimination based on race, religion, age, sex, disability or national origin. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
You're very welcome. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time and expertise. Thank you!
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.