Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Our Sunday school class was going to fill baggies with non-

Customer Question

Our Sunday school class was going to fill baggies with non- perishable snacks , take them to the ICU waiting room at our local hospital, and offer to pray with the family members of patients. We were told that we could not do this because it was a violation of HIPPA. We would not be asking for names of patients or reasons for their admission. We are located in N.C. I am a nurse, have worked in healthcare for 12 years, and see no violation. Am I wrong? Friends did this in Tenn. and had no such issues.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Mark. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You are not wrong. There is no HIPAA violation here. The HIPAA laws are structured to assure that individuals’ health information is properly protected. Here you are not inquiring as the patients' personal information or their health information. This is clearly the case of someone using the HIPAA laws to prevent something happening they simply don't want to allow. This is such a common occurrence when someone simply blames HIPAA or some other regulation when it's clearly not appropriate. They may prevent you from praying for these patients, but your plan in no way violates the HIPAA laws. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!