Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My car was destroyed in a carport fire in Carson City, NV,

Customer Question

My car was destroyed in a carport fire in Carson City, NV, by which the easily recognizable VIN's were obliterated. There are hidden ones, I understand, but the car is in such a mess I have been unable to locate any. I did not have the car covered for comprehensive and it has made it difficult to get anyone to tow it away. The DMV has been unhelpful. Are there options I might use, or as I rent would the property owner have an easier time?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to file a petition in the local court titled a petition for order of destruction and you can file in that petition your explanation and proof that a local mechanic was not able to find any of the hidden VIN and also attach an affidavit that the car that was destroyed was indeed your car (describe it and include the VIN) You would have to ask the court for an order to destroy the vehicle and to order DMV to record your VIN as destroyed in their computer system. Once you have that, you can get the car removed and destroyed.