Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Where is it legal to carry a stun gun in California? JA:

Customer Question

Where is it legal to carry a stun gun in California?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: So are stun guns not legal at schools or other public buildings in California? And what exactly would a public building actually be? Would the grocery store count? What about a church?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Are you refereing to me actually getting a lawyer?
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: How do I get to the lawyer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 months ago.
Hello there --California Penal Code permits any citizen to have or possess a stun gun except those persons convicted of a felony in any state or at the federal level, those persons who are addicted to any narcotic drug and any minors under the age of 18 years old. Ca. Penal Code Ann. § 22610. It is illegal to carry or use a stun gun when you are in a secure area of an airport or in a passenger terminal in a harbor facility that hosts regular commuter operations; or in any state or local government building; or in any meeting that is required by law to be open to the public (Ca. Penal Code §§ 1715, 22620) . So it would seem that you really cannot carry one into an open area where members of the public are congregating whether it be a church function or a school where there are children or some kind of large festival. -Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, please press a positive rating above this answer boxes so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is the third, fourth or fifth star). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY