Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My name is***** I was just curious, I loaned

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** I was just curious, I loaned a so called friend my debit card so that she could pick up her prescriptions because she needed them and had no money, So I loaned her 60 cash and gave her my debit card and pin # ***** I was not sure how much it would all be, and wanted to make sure she had enough money, After picking up her script She made an unauthorized charge on my card to Itunes, I just happend to have a service provided to me by the company I got my debit card through, that sends me a text everytime my card is used, when the text came through for Itunes I immediately contacted her and questioned the charge, well of course she (had not idea what i was talking about) Imagine that, her response was when i get to your house to return your card, We Will DISPUTE THAT, and continued to deny that she had made the charge ( keep in mind I have NO I Pad nor do I have an I phone I actually still have the simple little flip phone, and have no desire to change that) Her exact words were I will set you up an online account, and we can dispute that charge, Mind you it was only 15.00, but it wasn't the money because hell I don't have any so I really did not miss it anyway, It was the point of My So called Friend stole from me and thought I was stupid enough to not catch it, and the shock in her voice, when I cought it the moment she made that purchase was priceless, anyway I guess my question is what would that be called legally, and could I press charges, Im asking because she not only did this to me, but she also did it to a mutual friend as well and unfortunately He did not have the service on his credit card that I had on my prepaid debit card, so she not only got him for Itune charges X 2 but also charged her phone bill as well all of which was done without his consent as was mine, which of course told me that she did not learn a lesson the first time her hand was cought in the cookie jar, but did it again and again to someone whom trusted her. I personally learned a lesson myself, as did he, but i just cant help thinking that she needs to be tought a lesson in that you don't take money from people or make charges on someones credit card without permission, or without consequences for your actions, what is your recommendation? other than pick your friends with caution.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess I am more angry with myself for ever trusting this con-artist, and would like to make sure it does not happen to anyone else, due to her charming personality when you meet her, and to be perfectly honest had the same thing not happend to a mutual friend in less than a months time, so god knows who else she has done this too
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not only did I give her the benefit of the doubt at first, and even almost bought her bs untill talking with my other friend and was informed that she had done the same thing to him, and once more he neither had an IPhone or IPad , Not to mention this girl is fighting for custody of her son, I have children and am very aware how easily they can be influenced by there parents,and friends and to be quite honest I am afraid of how her actions will influence this child as well . I had almost talked myself into dropping the whole thing and just no longer have anything to do with her, and then I remembered what it felt like for my kindness to be taken as weekness also this very disturbed individual had the nerve to attempt to contact me again, stating that i need to pay HER back the money that she loaned me and if I did not, well she claimed she had some kind of dirt on myself and our mutual friend whom she also borrowed a large sum of money as well as made unauthorized charges on his credit card, so if Someone does not take a stand where will it stop?( sorry meant to put this after time)
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Regrettably, you have no recourse against her. She did not commit any crime. You gave her access to your account and thus legally she can make any charges on your account eventhough she exceeded the authority that you gave her. Pencil this one in as in 'No Good Deed Goes Unpunished." No matter how dire her situation was, you should not have provided her with your PIN. Once you did that, you lost all claims against her for stealing from you because you gave her complete access to your account. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.