Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

MvA JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have

Customer Question

MvA
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Someone used my name to register a car in 2012 without my knowledge and the forged my signature so well that I'm doubting myself if I didn't sign those papers
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The mva said I need a writ of mandamus for that to be taken off my records, on the paper this individual sign my name using my initial in one of their online renewal.. I just need this take off my record because they didn't pay insurance on that car and I'm being charged for insurance violation
JA: I stream everything.
Customer: Okay how do I fix this?
JA: Tell me more about your problem so I can decide what kind of lawyer you need.
Customer: Also I have credit on my credit that I knew nothing about, some have been taken off. This more like ID theft. I really need the mva to take this off my record cos I don't knw what this person could have that to do
JA: I stream everything.
Customer: How do u contact me or how do I contact the lawyer?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You reported the identity theft to the police and MVA?
Please give us the details of what happened and what you have done so far?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did the mva and I was waiting for some paper from the mva to report it to the police which I will be doing on Monday
You do not need a writ of mandamus yet, you need to file a police report for identity theft and report the credit and license issue. Once you file that report, you would present that report to MVA. Upon completion of the criminal investigation and investigation of MVA, if they are able to determine who the individual is, then they will remove it. However, if they cannot establish who the individual is, at that point you would need to file a petition for writ of mandamus in the local court to order them to remove the false record from their records. This is not an overnight or happen tomorrow process and the process can take several months to clear up as identity theft cases are complex, so do not expect this to be immediately resolved in most cases. You are going to have to file the police report and be persistent to pursue the investigation and only once the investigation is done and it shows that it was not you would you then progress to the mandamus only if MVA still refuses to remove the record at that point.