Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I had a licensed plumber do work. When he billed me, he refused

Customer Question

I had a licensed plumber do work. When he billed me, he refused to supply supporting sales invoices. i asked to see the supporting invoices . He has refused to show me the invoices. Do I have a legal right to request the invoices? Can you advice me if I have a legal right to see these? Please supply the California law code sections applying to this situation?
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
I am not finding any CA law that requires the plumber to show you the sales invoices for the parts. A lot depends here on what your agreement was with him. If your agreement was cost plus some % profit on the parts, then there should be no problem in the plumber showing you the cost slips and it is your implied right to see that information so you can verify that he charged you correctly.On the other hand, all contractors buy at wholesale if they can. Usually they are doing enough volume that they get a price that the off-the-street customer can not. Thus, no contractor is obligated to sell materials at cost, unless that is the agreement. So, if there was no discussion on this point then the best you can do is to hold him to his job estimate. He would not be required to show his mark up on the parts.