RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My landlord.has.chosen.not has chosen not to renew my lease.

Customer Question

My landlord.has.chosen.not has chosen not to renew my lease. I filed for bankruptcy last year and was late with payments, but I have paid all monies owed. Now he is forcing me to pay until the end of the lease
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, didn't know what to do
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I spoke with a few residents last night, who told me that they have been late with their rent, but they are still allowed to live there
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I have reviewed the facts you provided. Can you tell me what your specific legal question is, please? What is it that you want to know or accomplish?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it illegal or discrimination for my landlord not to renew my lease with no explanation except to say that they feel that it is in their best interest. I began renting May 2015, filed CH 13 bankruptcy in October 2015 ( I have an attorney representing me in the bankruptcy). This landlord has forced me to pay the monies due prior to the bankruptcy, which I have paid in full. The rent for the other months was often fourteen (14) days late. I was harassed with an eviction and frequent inquiries regarding my intentions on bringing my account up to date.Due to their letter on not renewing my lease, I have found another apartment. I informed my landlord that I would be moving out on Saturday, April 30th, 2016. He accepted my decision, but told me that I would have to pay the rent until May 10, 2016. I feel that this is retaliation, of some sort, I just want to know my rights.
I appreciate your reply. It would only be discriminatory if the landlord were basing their decision on a legally discriminatory factor -your race, religion, age, sex, disability, national origin, etc. You don't mention any of this in your facts, so I don't know if this type of discrimination is present or not. A landlord is entitled to choose not to renew your lease if they believe it is best for their business; the fact that other tenants in similar situations had their leases renewed and you didn't is not in and of itself proof of discrimination, unfortunately. As far as making you pay until May 10th, when was your lease up? If you terminate your lease early, you can be held liable for a breach of contract and responsible for payment through the end of the lease term, actually. You'd have to read through your lease to see what it says -some leases make you pay through the end of the lease, some may require you to pay one to two months rent as a penalty, etc. This is because even though you are moving out before your lease ends, the landlord still will lose money in the days/weeks following you leaving as they may sure the home is okay to re-rent, advertise it, show it to prospective renters, see if they qualify, etc. In other words, it's to pay them so they aren't penalized for you not being there during the time you normally would have been had you stayed through your lease term.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist further. Thank you.