Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Lawyer,My question would be related to religious

Customer Question

Hello Lawyer,My question would be related to religious accommodation during transatlantic flights. The airline in question is Qatar Airways when my brother completed his prayer (Salat), the air-hostess said to him sir you should not pray and company has a policy not to engage any religious ceremony during the flight. I wonder if these airlines such as Qatar Airways, Emirates or Saudi airlines, have any specific rules or guidelines concerning prayers because most of their customers must be Muslims? Please be advised that their navigation system showed the Qibla (Mecca) direction.Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Each of these airlines sets their own guidelines. They also do not come under US law, so religious accommodations in most of those countries is non-existent. Furthermore, the airline can restrict public displays or activities in the plane, that is up to the airline to determine, especially since it really does not impair a person's ability to pray quietly in their seat without disturbing other passengers or interfering with the crew doing their jobs.
Honestly it is up to each airline though in this type of situation.