Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

If a neighbor subjects another neighbor, who can't escape,

Customer Question

If a neighbor subjects another neighbor, who can't escape, to psychological abuse over a period of years, causing emotional trauma, are legal remedies or damages available?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, there could be a civil cause of action for either negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress. An attorney who can sit down face to face with their client and discuss all of the details would have to tell the person who believes they have a case whether or not there is enough evidence to support either of those claims. If so, then there could be damages collected for any actual damages and possibly punitive damages if the behavior was intentionally meant to harass.

Keep in mind that there is a statute of limitations for all civil and criminal cases and generally speaking, in most states, the statute of limitations for a tort (which is what you described) is 2 years. That means that a cause of action must be filed in court within two years of the last tortious act and damages could only go back for those 2 years.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.