CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I'm interested in knowing just what the state of Oregon uses

Customer Question

I'm interested in knowing just what the state of Oregon uses as guide lines (case law) in determining whether you are a resident of Oregon or not and therefore owe state income tax. I own a very nice, fully decorated home in Alaska as well as a small shopping center which provides most of my retirement income. I vote in Alaska and have hunting and fishing licenses in Alaska. Last August I bought a home in in Bend and find I am spending more time here than I originally thought I would. However, I still consider myself an Alaskan and have no intention in selling my home or giving up my residency there. It's just that the State of Oregon may not agree with this position since I am spending a lot of time here. Bot***** *****ne: what is the State's position on when one becomes a resident.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Oregon income tax is paid for income that is earned in the state. If your income is earned in Alaska (Alaskan commercial property), you pay your income taxes based on that state's rules to that state.Residency is determined by a number of factors (see this link: - and can be somewhat complicated, as residency varies depending on what you are using it for, for example, are you applying for a driver's license, registering a vehicle (the link above), or are you applying for in state tuition at a state college (a different standard as applied by the college).