Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I worked in Texas in 1994/1995 as a registered Nurse. I moved

Customer Question

I worked in Texas in 1994/1995 as a registered Nurse. I moved back to Canada and have hd a stroke in 2009. Would I qualify for any benefits. I am currently receiving Canada Pension Disability
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking about benefits from the US?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
I will have to ask the site to move this question to the US law list then.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you came to the US you could receive SSI Supplemental Security Income.You have to be within US to draw it however.So you would need to decide if it is worth it to you to relocate. Reference SSIIf your disability is based upon Supplemental Security income, or SSI, your payments will stop once you have been outside the United States for 30 days and your payments cannot be reinstated until you have been back in the United States for 30 days. (There is one exception to this rule: Children of military personnel who receive SSI who have to leave the U.S. for their parent's overseas duty can continue to get SSI while overseas.) http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/dnewsblog/2008/05/if-you-were-approved-for-disability-in.html
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Ray here please let me know if you have more follow up.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
The monthly payment amount for the SSI program is based on the "federal benefit rate" (FBR). In 2016, the FBR is $733 per month for individuals and $1,100 for couples (and the FBR increases annually if there is a Social Security cost-of-living adjustment). This is what you would get in SSI inside the US.