RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am a license street vendor in NYC(white license

Customer Question

I am a license street vendor in NYC(white license and veteran). The number of street restrictions in addition to the many rules and regulations that we are required to obey makes it all but impossible to vend on the street legally and earn a living. How or who can we go to in order to amend some of these rules and street restrictions? When a police officer tells me that he,"thanks me for my service but that I must move or he will give me a summons". The person who complained against me remains annyomous in the meantime I am compelled to relocate to another vacant illegal spot because for the most part legal spots are very difficult find. A soldier is bound by the oath he takes to defend his country. The USA is my country. New York State is part of my country. New York City is part of New York state. Manhattan is part of New York city. Many business areas are off limits to license street vendors(who are mostly veterans). (there are about 1,700 license street vendors(veterans). We took an oath to defend with our lives all areas of our country, our state, our city including the areas in our city that we are forbidden to vend in order to earn an honest living. Once a year a flag is placed over the gravesite(a plot of land that is forever his) of a dead veteran a small tribute for his sacrifice, "thank you for your service". Not all veterans are dead but some are still alive struggling to earn an honest living by vending in NYC. The NYC vending laws must be amended to reflect the current morality of today's society. We are only talking about 1,700 vendor veterans in this city?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you today.The Department of Consumer Affairs regulates and issues licenses required for vending general merchandise and the Department of Health regulates and issues licenses and permits for food related street vending within New York City. The two agencies have established a combined office for permitting and licensing.Here is the contact information I have found:Department of Consumer Affairs/HealthPhone 311 Website: http://nyc.gov/html/dca/html/home/home.shtml(212)(###) ###-####Mayor’s Office of Citywide Event Coordination and Management’s (CECM)Phone: 311 Website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/cecm/html/home/home.shtml There's a direct contact link here.Please let me know if you need clarification or additional information, I'll be happy to assist further. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The question is : How do you amend the rules and regulations regarding street vending in NYC?
My apologies for the delay -I had to step away briefly. City rules and regulations as well as state statutes govern street vendors in NYC. The only way for these regulations therefore to be amended is through the legislative process. In other words, there is little that the common man --you or I could directly do to amend such regulations. Instead, contact would have to be made and pressure would have to be put on the New York City Council members and mayor as well as state legislatures, who do hold the power to amend such regulations.