Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My name is***** I have recently filed a claim

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** I have recently filed a claim with my State Farm Insurance Company regarding my 2005 Saturn Vue. The sun roof leaks when it rains the water gets inside my truck the inside roof has extensive damage, the front seats have water damage, the carpet in the front is molded and mildewed from the water, the water is coming not only from the sun roof but also through the front passenger door and runs down inside the truck, my front seat belts are always damp and water also runs down the front window shield and into my dashboard and the water drips to the carpet, also the drivers side front door doesn't open from the inside most of the time I have roll the window and reach out and open from outside. The brakes lites are now not working. I'm wondering about electric problems starting to developed and I'm very afraid that a fire could start and I would not be able to get out of the truck. The insurance adjustors have said to me I must have ran over a puddle of water this could have caused all this damage and now their telling I must leave the sun roof open, I assume that means first I guess that means when rains rains I would leave my sun roof and windows open so now their telling that they can't find anything wrong with the truck. When they picked up my truck on Wednesday, March 30th, they took it to the Maple Grove Savage yard and now as of yesterday Wednesday, April 20th, they towed it to a Friendly Cheverlot shop. My Agent Tony Pankey I feel has not worked in my best interest at all the only thing that they have arranged was the car rental through enterprise which the insurance coverage pays 80% of the rental fee and I'm having to rent again I can't afford to continue to rent. I need this problem resolved as soon as possible. I am a Black Female 67 years old with COPD and have had several health problems in the last couple months due to the mold and mildew in my truck. I can't figure out why they have not total this truck so I can purchase another truck, I still work and I have to have transportation. I've had State Insurance for the last 10+ years I have never had a ticket, accident or filed a claim with them. Please HELP. Thanks
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Has State Farm accepted liability here for the damages??What state are you in here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that I'm aware of they just keep giving me different claims adjuster to talk to. I live in Saint Paul MN 55104.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
What I fear here is that if this has been going on awhile is that they deny your claim as a covered peril.If this was something that happened on one occasion say hail storm punched hole in sun roof and it leaked rain that would be a covered peril.Here if it is something that developed over time as truck got old they are going to try to claim it wasn't a covered peril.Please don't shoot the messenger. I would go on and file a complaint here with the state claiming they are not adjusting the claim.This may help you get a better and faster outcome.You would have to sue them if they deny the claim. File here I just wanted you to know that you should be prepared for rejection here.I certainly would not mention it has been leaking awhile.As far as you know it just started and caused all the damage from the last rain.It would frame your claim in a more favorable light. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please if you have more follow up just ask.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Here is what is covered under comprehensive again you need to claim this was a one storm event rather than a long term leak to be covered.I agree with you it is likely a total so they are looking for ways to deny the claim here. ypes of Damages Covered Under Comprehensive Auto InsuranceBelow are a couple examples of accidents and mishaps other than fender-benders:Natural disasters: storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, hailstormsFire, civil commotions, explosionsVandalism and theftDamage from impacts with animals (deer, etc.); note: a crash from swerving to avoid animals will likely fall under collisionBroken / shattered windows and windshieldFalling objectsTerrorismActs of God
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
The leak was caused by a recent storm here--thats your best presentation rather than an ongoing problem over time. Thanks again and the best here.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Try to force them to tell you at least whether it is a covered claim under your comprehensive coverage.Include that in your complaint too that they have failed to notify you that there was coverage of the truck for this damage.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.