Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I currently hold a G4 and will commence on a consultancy

Customer Question

Hello, I currently hold a G4 and will commence on a consultancy assignment next week for the UN (was a temporary staff until Dec 31). I am thinking of applying for a GC through an immigration lawyer. I want to expand my options to work outside of the UN in NYC, hence the need for GC. If I continue to work as a consultant, can I be hired even though holding a GC (relinquishing the G4)? Or can I not work for the UN in NY period, regardless of the form of employment/service? Many thanks!
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am in touch with a lawyer yes but we haven't started the process and I'm not sure he's knowledeable about this.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No I don't think so. Thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
With a GC you can work anywhere you like as that is treated as permanent resident status. You could work for the UN or for anyone else anywhere in the US with a GC. Your G-4 only allows you to work for your government sponsor or international organization. If you obtain a green card, then you can work where you like, including with the UN still.